Beginning in the mid 90s when he went on a 2 1/2 yr walk-about, playing with bands and artists from Tijuana to Buenos Aires. During this time Dexter visited Brazil for 10 months, where he recorded with samba icon Beth Carvalho, and where met the late Gaudencio Thiago de Mello, composer/percussionist who in early life had coached soccer legend Garincha, with a championship Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro team. It was there he recorded his first instrumental album as lead solo voice, with Thiago and composer guitarist, Antonio Mello.
Always musical, always moving with El Yesfi Samir and friends.
Sun22Oct20176:00 pm4335 W 44th Ave. Denver CO
Sammy Mayfield Blues Band, Eef and the Blues Express, Lionel Young Band, Hazel Miller.
Sponsored By: 103.5 The Fox's Strictly Blues and The Boulder Drum Shop.
Hazel starts 6pm. Lionel, about 7. For advance tickets, click above.
Wed25Oct20179:00 pmMercury Cafe, 2199 California St., Denver, CO 80205
Planina and Sherefe at the Mercury Cafe
Music of Eastern Europe and the Eastern Mediterranean
The Society for Ethnomusicology national conference in Denver Oct. 25-28, hosts series of world music concerts at the Mercury Cafe. Check out Mercury Cafe for the full schedule of music from Asia, Africa, Latin America and more. Mercury Cafe serves local, organic food - come early for dinner, then upstairs for great listening (and dancing).
- $15 for the general public; $10 for students. SEM conference attendee rates: $5 with registration; $10 at the door with conference ID
- 7:30-8:45pm: Planina - Songs of Eastern Europe. Planina explores the penetrating harmonies, asymmetric rhythms, and gorgeous melodies of traditional music from the Balkans and Russia.
- 9:00-10:15pm: Sherefe. The region’s most well-loved ambassadors of music from Turkey, Greece, and beyond.
Fri27Oct20177:00 pmCaffè Sole, 637 S. Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305
- Dinner starting at 6 pm, music 7-10pm
- Delicious food, acclaimed wine selections, and full coffee bar!
- No reservations for dinner - first come, first served., so come early for a table and have dinner. Menu is more casual as well - sandwiches, wraps, salads, soup, etc.
- Sherefe has added to their serving of a tasty assortment of musical treats for listening and dancing. It is a marvelous chance to show your support for this type of World Music in Boulder - performed by dedicated LOCAL musicians committed to enhancing your life through sharing of community, culture, music, dance, and celebration!
- There will be space cleared for dancing. Opa!!
- $12 suggested donation in the tip jar to pay the band - THANKS!!
- James Hoskins cello, gadulka, bouzouki, + … , vocals; Jesse Manno oud, saz, bouzouki, laouto, + …, vocals; Brett Bowen doumbeks, frame drums, and tupan; Julie Lancaster vocals and accordion; and Dexter Payne clarinet and sax.
Sun29Oct20179:00 pmGold Hill Inn, 401 Main, Gold Hill CO
"Inn The Evil Eye of the Hurricane" with Mary Russell & Friends
A portion of ticket sales and Hurricane drinks
will be donated to Hurricane relief in Puerto Rico.
9:00pm $10 tickets on sale now
Tickets are cash only in person at the Inn - No phone orders
Please call for dinner reservations - no reservations on line: (303) 443-6461
Email either Chris Finn or Brian Finn at:
Chris Finn -firstname.lastname@example.org for Menu, food preparation, and general info.
Brian Finn -email@example.com for wedding, private party, musician bookings, and general info